Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Bah Humbug and the Immanence of God

Winter break wasn’t eventful. I was one of the few MHGS students who stayed behind. Hey, I’m actually from this area….where would I go? I worked a lot at Seattle’s Best at Pike Place. I was not in the Christmas spirit. Working in a store in downtown Seattle in December involves witnessing a lot of materialism. Santa Claus is their pagan god of materialism. There is no Christ in this Christmas. There is also an emphasis on calling it “holiday” time and not Christmas. Part of me enjoys that…leave Christ out of this debauchery. However, most of this “holiday” décor and junk pushed by the retail pimps have flavorings of that European winter holiday tradition…what is it called…hmmm…

So, Bah humbug, it’s over, thankfully. I spent a lot of time doing introspective work, taking baths, and listening to music. At least after all of that work I became “Barista of the Month” at my store.

On New Year ’s Day I went to St. James Cathedral, which is the area’s catholic cathedral. I originally intended to journal in the building. Upon my arrival, I saw a sign that there would be a mass held in about 45 minutes, so I stayed. I was reminded of the immanence and beauty of God. The cathedral is an edifice that reflects the glory of God in the midst of rugged individualistic Seattle. Check it out here. The baptismal font and Oculus Dei ("eye of God"; a much nicer name than skylight) particularly reached me. I was a mess during the mass. I hope the priest didn’t mind a protestant taking the Eucharist.

My classes started yesterday and I’m glad it’s back. I get to take more theology courses. These classes are much smaller. It’s interesting to finally see who is actually M.Div. I was pleasantly surprised.

No comments: