Thursday, December 18, 2008

Living Without

It is currently 6:30 in the evening. Temperature: 26 degrees Fahrenheit. Seattle has nearly shut down. Because of the snow? That's not it. The roads are covered in inches thick of ice.

My low-income apartment in haughty Belltown has no hot water. We haven't had any for a week, except on Monday. Our Landlord is busy trying to get it fixed.

Twice this week I've taken a bath by boiling water on the stove...which takes a long time. Baths are my way of "taking care of myself", as they like to say at my school. I like candles, maybe a glass of wine, Sigur Ros playing, and a warm bath. Sometimes I forgo the first three for listening to a podcast of This American Life.

I usually don't mind cold water showers, but it's just unsafe in this weather.

I feel like a pioneer. Or, really, that I'm a person who just has had to learn to do without.

I go into work tomorrow at 5:30 in the morning. Wish me luck.

2 comments:

mp said...

...hopefully your water situation will be fixed soon...it snowed all day yesterday here, looks pretty though...

paul

Winter Wonderland

Jojoellen said...

hey, not sure you remember meeting. but i met you at Greg Smiths birthday party. I like reading your blog :O) fascinating. I hope to some day be a Mars Hill folk too, gotta find some money first. Anyway wanted to say enjoy your blog you get me laughing and thinking. Oh and hope the water situation has cleared up. We are sow an iced in here in lovely Bothell take care. Joellen